Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mac Users/Calvinists

First let me add a little caveat to the title of this post lest one of the Mac users I offend hunts me down and shoves their Macbook Air up somewhere it doesn't belong. Yeah its small but not that small. If I could have or knew how to use an approximate sign in the title I would have. I'm not saying that every single person can be grouped in these two categories or that these groups are characteristic of all people that could be classified in them. I'm writing in general terms. I think it is true in a general sense at least from my experience, and I thought it was somewhat humorous so I decided to share.

If you have ever talked to any number of Mac users you will ultimately find out very quickly they're a Mac user. This title is boldly worn as a badge of honor.

The same can be said of some Calvinists. If you have ever had a conversation with one of these guys then you will no doubt learn fairly quickly they are 5 pointers, also a badge of honor.

Mac users/Calvinists give the infamous "look down" after they realize you're not one of them. You know the way someone looks at you like you're 2 foot tall. They look at your feet then look up quickly most of the time with their eyebrows narrowed and eyes crossed. Sometimes you will even be lucky enough to induce a teeth suck. I love that one. It makes me feel like I've hit a chord with my brothers and sisters.

Undoubtedly the conversation moves from condescension to conversion mode. The Mac user/Calvinist tries to convert the pagans to the straight and narrow or the thin and portable.

Mac users/Calvinists unleash a vigorous barrage of indisputable artillery to defeat the enemy and win the day for their respective ideas. Then after the smoke and dust have settled, excel spreadsheets torched to a crisp are trampled under feet, and hymns like "I Have Decided To Follow Jesus" are changed to "I Never Wanted to Follow Jesus" we should all embrace in a loving hug and laugh at each other.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I use a Mac and I don't look down at you. Well, not for that anyway :)