Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why the name?

I'm sure that anyone who will visit this site will wonder why I named my site this. Well I will be honest and admit that this was not my first choice. I would liked to have had sackclothandashes, but would you believe this is already taken in .com and .net? Nevertheless, earthonmyhead is the name, and it is growing on me every time I say it. Go ahead, try it. It rolls off the tongue with surprising ease. I bet it even brings a smile to your face!

Reference

This phrase is a biblical reference from Nehemiah 9:1. You may need to read the ESV to get the full effect. Here is a great outline of Nehemiah chapter nine by Dr. Ralph Davis. I didn't pick the name because this is my favorite passage or phrase from the Bible. I wanted something that would serve as a reminder, not just for me but for anyone who may visit, about the need for repentance and the need for reformation. I think this phrase will be just that.
As the outline from Dr. Davis points out, the preparation for reformation starts with repentance. Regardless of whether you hold to the doctrinal distinctives of the Reformation, I would hope and pray that we can all call ourselves reforming. Prayerfully, we will all have a little earth on our heads before our time here ends.

2 comments:

Brandon Snider said...

I look forward to this... :)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome thing it would be if we as God's children could learn the power of praying and fasting and put a little earth on our head!!!!!!!!! Your site is a great reminder for us to begin the new year in this powerful way. Keep holding forth the Word of Life that we might know God's truth for our lives.