Thursday, July 17, 2008

Criticism and Affirmation

If you've read any number of the somewhat substantive posts on this blog I'm sure you've picked up on the fact I lean more toward the criticism side of the fence. To be honest it is a little more than a lean. You could probably describe it as a full fledged encampment on the critical side of the fence only ever so often glancing over in the direction of the affirmation side.

Why?

That's a very good question and one that I've been asking myself lately. Am I critical because I love truth and hate error? Or maybe it is because there are too many weak and cowardly men that refuse to stand for what is right and call error error? I wish I could answer so righteously and courageously to say yes without reservation. But I cannot.

I do love truth and hate error, and I do think there too many weak and cowardly men. But I am one of the cowards. I am overly critical because it is easier to take a stand against something than it is to take a stand for something.

So I cower because of my ignorance and lack of faith. To all the men who may read this I pray that we will not just stand against something but that we'll also fight and affirm what is right and holy and good.

No comments: