Monday, January 14, 2008

Politics

I have wanted to write on this subject for a few weeks now. I'm sure we have all at least seen a clip of recent debates. Whether you vote Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Indy, or not at all, (and no I'm not going to take the time to scold the non-voters) have you ever listened to some of the other candidates occasionally make a good point and thought to yourself "hmm...He's got a good point"? Well I did the other night while watching the Fox News South Carolina debate. Thompson went after Huckabee on several issues. I thought that if this happened all night Huck would need to call in Chuck Norris to drop kick someone. Then Huckabee responded as well as he could I guess.
It seems like in their best moments all the candidates have at least one point or one issue or one policy stance or one personality trait that would be in line with what I would want in a president. Then after the debate was over Hannity and Colmes had each nominee hopeful except Ron Paul sit down for about a 7 minute interview. So during the debate we see people attacking policies, votes, ideas with little time for rebuttal. Then during the interview with a little more time we see a response to those attacks in more details. So we get both sides to the story albeit an abbreviated one.

So basically I typed all that to get to this:
1. How do we pick a candidate because if we were really honest there is probably not a candidate that we will agree with about everything?

2. Which issues are more important? Why?

3. Is the religious faith of a candidate important in our decision? Why?

I know the audience of this blog is quite small so I don't expect a boat load of answers to these questions. And even if you decide not to answer them at least you will have thought about them for a brief moment.

No comments: